HIPAA COW is a non-member 501(c)(3) corporation, a not-for-profit charitable organization. To learn more about recent accomplishments and goals, see our Annual Report.
The initial creation of HIPAA COW was a joint effort of the following Wisconsin healthcare organizations. Many other organizations have since contributed greatly to its ongoing growth and vitality:
- The Alliance
- Dean Health Plan
- ProHealth Care
- Rural Wisconsin Health Cooperative
- UW Hospital & Clinics
- WEA Trust
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services
- Wisconsin Hospital Association
- Wisconsin Healthcare Financial Management Association
- Wisconsin Health Information Management Association
The mission of HIPAA COW is to:
- Assist HIPAA Covered Entities, Business Associates, and other interested parties in implementing HIPAA’s Privacy, Security and EDI Standard Transaction provisions, as amended over time.
- Foster public education about HIPAA.
- Facilitate and streamline HIPAA Implementation through identification of best practices.
- Reduce duplicate efforts among entities obligated to comply with HIPAA.
- Offer opportunities for partnering and collaborating between entities implementing HIPAA.
- Identify and evaluate new or difficult HIPAA interpretation issues.
HIPAA COW is overseen by a Board of Directors and currently has five Networking Groups: Privacy, Security, Risk Management, EDI & Healthcare IT.
HIPAA COW Website Overview: For a compact, easy-to-use overview of the HIPAA COW website that you can download and share, please CLICK HERE.
HIPAA COW Organizational Chart: To view the company Organizational Chart, please CLICK HERE.
WEDI: Did you know? HIPAA COW is an RSA of WEDI SNIP. Talk about Alphabet Soup! Literal Translation: The Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act Collaborative of Wisconsin is a Regional Strategic National Implementation Process Affiliate of the Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange Strategic National Implementation Process. OK, it still doesn’t tell you much. What it means to HIPAA COW is that being a Regional affiliate of WEDI provides us with: An important resource for our programs. A voice in the national dialog regarding HIPAA implementation. The ability to collaborate with other states and regions. It’s a good partnership. For more information visit: www.wedi.org